APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATION
The completed application is reviewed by the ABPP Executive Officer for compliance with general doctoral degree and licensure/certification requirements, and the Couple and Family Psychology Specialty Board for specific requirements of the specialty. Following favorable review and verification, the applicant becomes a Candidate for certification and moves to Stage II, or the practice sample stage of the process.
ELIGIBILITY FOR SPECIALTY CERTIFICATION IN COUPLE AND FAMILY PSYCHOLOGY
General Eligibility Requirements
To attain board certification in a specialty an applicant must meet the common eligibility requirements which include:
1. A doctoral degree from a program, in professional psychology which at the time the degree was granted was accredited by the APA, CPA, or was listed in the publication Doctoral Psychology Programs Meeting Designation Criteria. Applicants credentialed in the most recent directory of the National Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology or the Canadian Register of Health Service Providers in Psychology qualify as meeting the doctoral degree requirements as well as those holding the Certificate of Professional Qualification in Psychology (CPQ).
• All ABPP candidates in the U.S., its territories or Canada must be licensed as a psychologist for independent practice at the doctoral level in a jurisdiction in the U.S., its territories or Canada.
Specialty Specific Eligibility Requirements
• Completion of a recognized internship; and
• A recognized post-doctoral residency program in Couple and Family psychology, or
• At least one post-doctoral year of supervised practice in Couple and Family psychology and two graduate Couple and Family practicum courses or equivalent and 40 hours of continuing education (CE) in Couple and Family psychology or closely related activities.
Note: The CE requirements must be within the last 5 years. Residency program graduates should present evidence of CE hours in Couple and Family psychology or closely related practice activities.